Online Patent and Trademark Resources
Intellectual Property Publications
- The Digital Dilemma: Intellectual Property in the Information Age (2000) by National Research Council, Committee on Intellectual Property Rights and the Emerging Information Infrastructure and Computer Science and Telecommunications Board. National Academy Press, 2000.
- Global Dimensions of Intellectual Property Rights in Science and Technology. Edited by Mitchell B. Wallerstein, Mary Ellen Mogee, and Roberta A. Schoen. National Academy Press, 1993.
- Guide to Japan’s Patent System. By Mindy L. Kotler and Gary W. Hamilton. U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 1995.
- Intellectual Property and the National Information Infrastructure: The Report of the Working Group on Intellectual Property Rights by Information Infrastructure Task Force. By Bruce A. Lehman.
- Intellectual Property Issues in Software. Steering Committee for Intellectual Property Issues in Software Computer Science and Telecommunications Board. National Academy Press, 1991.
- Inventor’s Handbook.
Published by the Lemelson-MIT Program.
- Knowledge Diplomacy: Global Competition and the Politics of Intellectual Property (1998) by Michael P. Ryan Brookings Institution, 1998.
Legal texts: European Patent Office
- European Patent Convenion
- Ancillary Regulations to the European Patent Convention
- Case law of the EPO Boards of Appeal
- Guideline for Examination in the EPO
- National Laws relating to the European Patent Convention (EPC) Booklet describing the national patent laws and their interaction with the application and granting of European patents.
Legal Texts, United States
- U. S. Patent Law. U.S. Code, Title 35. Patents.
- U.S. Code of Federal Regulations. Title 37. Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights. See Title 37. Provides access to 1997 – 2002.
- U.S. Federal Register. The Federal Register is the official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of federal agencies and other organizations. It also includes Executive orders and other presidential documents.
Intellectual Property Classification Systems:
- International Patent Classification (IPC)
- Strasbourg Agreement Concerning the International Patent Classification
- International (Nice) Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of Registration of Marks. 8th edition.
- International Classification for Industrial Designs under the Locarno Agreement. 7th edition.
- International Classification of the Figurative Elements of Marks under the Vienna Agreement. 5th edition.
- U.S. Patent Classification Index
- U.S. Patent Classification Schedule.
- U.S. Patent Classification Definitions.
Newsletters – online internet resources:
- Competition Law Monitor. Provides news on European Parliament laws and regulations. Guidance on the economy, competition and regulations for Europe.
- Derwent Patent and Industry News News is categorized by Chemistry/Life Sciences; Engineering; and Intellectual Property/Business
- Entrepreneur Magazine Online Subscriptions available. Articles from back issues are free. Coverage is 1997 to present.
- Intellectual Property Owners Association. Daily News. Relevant news posted almost every day.
- Invent Resources:
Quarterly newsletter. This company is working with inventors.
This is a nonprofit group that works to provide education and news for inventors.
- Inventors’ Digest. Subscriptions available. Articles from previous issues available online. Published bimonthly.
- Inventors World Magazine Subscriptions available. Published in the United Kingdom. Published quarterly.
- Intellectual Property Decisions. Covers intellectual property law for the UK and the EU.
- Intellectual Property Newsletter. Weekly newsletter that covers the entire field of intellectual property.
- Patent, Trademark and Copyright Research Institute. PTC Research Foundation. Digest of articles and Research Papers. There is a browsable index available at this site.
- Patent World. Monthly journal that compiles news from around the world, analysis of the latest cases and articles by leading experts.
- Trademark World. Monthly journal covering trademark law and international developments.
- WIPO Magazine. Published by the World Intellectual Property Organization. Available online 2000 to present.
- Newsgroups: Google Groups: misc.int-property
Google Group: alt. entrepreneurs
Google Group: alt. inventor
Google Group: alt. inventorworld
Google Group: alt.inventors
- Inventor’s List (InventorEd-L)
Info: http://www.topica.com/lists/InventorEd-L To Subscribe send email to InventorEd-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org
Exchange of information between aspiring and successful inventors.
- European Patent Office. Listserv